Saint Luke’s Marion Bloch Neuroscience Institute
Dedicated to advancing neuroscience innovation
Saint Luke’s Marion Bloch Neuroscience Institute is the only dedicated neuroscience hospital in Kansas City. Located at Saint Luke’s Hospital of Kansas City, our acclaimed brain and spine team offers:
- A Comprehensive Stroke Center providing the region’s most advanced stroke care, including stroke-reversal therapies and treatment to more than 1,600 patients each year. More than 36 percent of stroke patients receive stroke-reversal therapy compared to a national average of 15.9 percent
- A Level 4 Comprehensive Epilepsy Center offering advanced diagnostics and surgical intervention for people living with epilepsy
- Cutting edge neurosurgical innovations such as minimally invasive spine surgery, responsive neurostimulation (RNS), and we are one of only a few hospitals in the nation to provide asleep deep brain stimulation (DBS) surgery
- A neurorehabilitation program designed to help patients return to the highest level of functioning possible, with 75 percent of patients discharged to home compared to the national average of 67 percent
- The Midwest Ear Institute, a leader in advancing cochlear implant technology, offering a broad range of services to people suffering from hearing and balance disorders
Meet our neuroscience team
The team at Saint Luke's Marion Bloch Neuroscience Institute includes:
- Neurologists dedicated to treating the full range of neurological conditions, including stroke, epilepsy, Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis, migraine headaches, and more
- A subspecialty-trained team of neurosurgeons providing the full spectrum of elective and emergency procedures around the clock, including the latest surgical interventions for stroke, trauma, tumors, aneurysms, tremor, and other brain disorders
- An experienced minimally invasive spine surgery team who uses specialized technology and expertise, resulting in quicker recovery, less pain, and better outcomes for patients
A legacy of neurological innovation
In 1993, Saint Luke’s doctors performed one of the world’s first intra-arterial stroke-reversal procedures. Since then, Saint Luke’s specialists have continued to pioneer new treatments. We are one of the world’s most experienced and prolific leaders in the use of tissue plasminogen activator (tPA), the clot-busting medication that can reverse ischemic stroke.
The gift of expanded brain and spine care
A $12 million gift from the Marion and Henry Bloch Family Foundation to Saint Luke’s helped expand the Neuroscience Institute’s scope of care, while helping make it a leader in high quality neurological care for the Kansas City community and the entire Midwest region.
Research and Clinical Trials
Saint Luke’s Marion Bloch Neuroscience Institute features a strong clinical research program to ensure that patients receive the most effective and innovative treatment options.
With more than 140 patients currently enrolled in our more than 40 new or continued clinical research trials, we’re studying new therapies for:
- Stroke intervention
- Brain tumors
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Multiple sclerosis
- Hearing restoration
Since testing intravenous tPA, the clot-busting drug used to reverse strokes, in the early 1990s, Saint Luke’s Stroke Team has been involved in every major stroke intervention research trial. Early participation in trials testing mechanical devices to retrieve clots led to our extensive experience in clot retrieval and made us leaders in acute stroke treatment.
Saint Luke’s recently partnered with GE’s healthymagination initiative and submitted stroke data for detailed analysis by Oxford Analytica, an independent data analysis firm. The process included comparing our stroke treatment outcomes to those at hundreds of hospitals across the United States. Saint Luke’s stroke treatment outcomes in several categories were found to be significantly better than other hospitals. As a result, GE named Saint Luke’s the first healthymagination Stroke Solution Site in the world.