School of Echocardiography Admissions & Application
The echocardiography program’s diverse applicant pool attracts college or allied health school graduates, professionals seeking a career change, or health professionals with a desire to advance their health care education.
All coursework and degrees must be obtained from an approved institution of the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) and/or an approved Regional Accrediting Agency.
The program has a limited number of available positions and does not allow open enrollment options. Acceptance is not guaranteed.
- Application deadline: 2nd Friday in March, annually
- Start date: September, annually
Applicants must meet one of the following requirements:
- Be a graduate of a 24-month accredited allied health program
- Radiologic technology
- Respiratory therapy
- Physical therapy
- Other approved allied health programs
- Have a 4-year Bachelor’s degree from a regionally/nationally accredited institution
Prerequisite Course Requirements
- College Algebra, Statistics, or high level math course
- College Physics or Radiographic Physics
- Human Anatomy & Physiology
- Oral or Written Communications
- Medical Terminology
- Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) Certification or Approved Patient Care Course
- All prerequisite courses must be completed with a "C" or better
- All applicants must have a minimum 3.0 cumulative college GPA
This GPA reflects credits from all institutions attended
Job Shadow (Observation) Requirement
- All applicants must complete a 16-hour job shadow in an adult echocardiography lab. Job shadows are available through Saint Luke’s Hospital.
- Prospective (shadow) students completing observations at a Saint Luke’s Health System site must show evidence of MMR and Varicella (Chicken Pox) immunity, negative TB skin test within the past 12 months, and an influenza vaccine within 6 months of their observation.
- Job shadows may also be conducted at other facilities. Applicants must obtain a letter on company letterhead with contact information for the lead sonographer or department manager. This documentation should include your name and the date and time you observed.
- To request a job shadow at Saint Luke’s, please contact Zach Tyler at 816-932-2716 or email@example.com
Observation Reflection Paper:
All applicants must submit a 2-page, double spaced, typed job shadow reflection paper. At a minimum, the reflection paper must address the following:
- Explain the exams observed during your job shadowing opportunities
- What is the role of the sonographer?
- What characteristics do you possess that you believe will make you successful as a student and a sonographer?
All applicants must have two reference forms submitted directly by the referrer. References should be from a professional, of no relation to the applicant (ex. Supervisor, manager, instructor or professor).
International (Foreign) Student Requirements
Students applying at Saint Luke’s School of Echocardiography are required to have a reading, writing, and conversational knowledge of the English language.
Determine if you will be considered an international (foreign) student
Applicants are considered to be an international student if English is not their native language (or if English is one of the official languages of their native country but not necessarily the first language of the majority of the population).
Students who have already been enrolled in courses at other US academic institutions without the completion of an English proficiency test are still considered foreign when applying to the Saint Luke’s School Echocardiography. English proficiency must be demonstrated prior to applying for the program.
English Language Proficiency
All international applicants for the Saint Luke’s School of Echocardiography whose native language is not English must demonstrate an established level of English language proficiency through the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) format.
International applicants who are native citizens of the following countries do not have to submit TOEFL scores: United States, Great Britain, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, or the English-speaking provinces of Canada.
Applicants from other regions not listed above do need to submit TOEFL scores.
Test scores must be original forms sent directly from the administering agency to the Saint Luke’s School of Echocardiography. Photocopies will not be accepted.
International (Foreign) Student Application Requirements
Students for whom English is a second language must satisfy all of the following requirements in order to apply for the Saint Luke’s School of Echocardiography:
1. An official score report from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) which evaluates how well you combine your listening, reading, speaking and writing skills.
Internet-based TOEFL Scores
- Reading: 23
- Listening: 23
- Speaking: 23
- Writing: 19
- Total Score: 88
2. Proof of U.S. Citizenship or lawful permanent residency.
3. Official Transcripts and Official Course by Course Evaluation of Foreign Transcripts by a U.S. Evaluation Service must be submitted with application.
Foreign Education Credentials Evaluation (Transcript Evaluation)
All international applicants must have all foreign transcripts (high school and college) evaluated by World Education Services OR Educational Credential Evaluators. The evaluation must include course-by-course evaluation, grade evaluation, grade point evaluation, and indicate the degree earned in U.S. terms (bachelors, masters, etc.). An official copy of the evaluation is required.
Please note: Transcripts and grades earned outside of the U.S. must be evaluated, even if the transcript is written in English.
All three of the above steps must be submitted by the application deadline.
Students must meet the skill standards appropriate to ultrasonography. View the skill standards (PDF) to verify your qualifications.
Tobacco Usage Policy
Saint Luke’s Health System is a tobacco free organization and does not hire anyone who uses tobacco products.
Effective August 1, 2011, only non-tobacco users will be hired by Saint Luke’s Health System. This policy also includes students in all Saint Luke’s owned programs. Therefore, students cannot use any tobacco products.
- Smokeless tobacco
- “E-cigarettes” or any other vaping product
- Smoking cessation products including nicotine gum or skin patches
- Any other products which contain any amount of tobacco or nicotine
All individuals that have been offered a position within the Saint Luke’s Schools of Diagnostic Medical Sonography, Echocardiography or Radiologic Technology must comply with this policy.
All accepted students will be tested for nicotine during their post-offer, pre-program physical screening process. Offers of positions to prospective students of any program who test positive for nicotine will be rescinded. A positive test for nicotine due to the applicant’s use of nicotine replacement therapy will also result in the applicant’s offer being rescinded.
Students are also prohibited from using any tobacco products once they have entered any education program. Any student who uses tobacco is in violation of this policy and will face disciplinary action up to and including termination from the program. If a student is directly observed using tobacco products, they will be required to complete a nicotine test with the Employee Health Department. In the event this test is positive, they will face disciplinary action up to and including termination from the program.
Any student who gains employment with Saint Luke’s Health System during or after their educational program must retest for nicotine during their Employee Health pre-employment physical. If this results in a positive test, the offer of employment will be rescinded.
There are no exceptions to any segment of this policy.
The school accepts 4-6 students annually. Each applicant is scored based on:
- A cumulative 3.0 GPA, includes all post-secondary education
- Reference forms
- Prior clinical experience/health care experience
- Observation/job shadow
- Interview scores
The top 15 applicants who meet the admissions requirements will be selected for an interview with the admissions committee. The interview will be conducted using the behavioral-based interview method.
All applicants will receive written notification regarding their acceptance or denial of admission for the current program.
Applicants who accept a position in the program must pass a criminal background check, drug test, tobacco screening and MMR test before final admission into the program.
Applicants must submit the following:
- Application (PDF)
- $25 application fee (please make check payable to the SLH School of Echocardiography)
- Official transcripts – high school and all post-secondary education. All official transcripts must come from the honoring institution in sealed envelopes. Copies will not be accepted. The application will not be processed until all transcripts are received.
- Reference forms (PDF) – mailed by the referrer in a sealed envelope. Applicants must have two references who should be a professional who is not related to the applicant, such as a supervisor, manager, instructor, or professor.
- Observation/job shadow documentation – documentation from an outside facility must be on institution letterhead specifying date and time of observation along with applicant’s name. Letter must be signed by a lead sonographer or department manager for validation.
- Skill standards (PDF) – signed acknowledgement of our required skill standards
- Prospective Student Information Guide (PDF)
Mail completed application to:
ATTN: School of Echocardiography
4401 Wornall Road
Kansas City, MO 64111