Food as Medicine Everyday (FAME) Program
Cook simple, tasty, and nutritious meals for your family with Saint Luke’s evidence-based nutrition education.
Change Your Nutrition, Change Your Life
Food is powerful medicine. When used with a comprehensive health care plan, healthy dietary changes can have a positive and dramatic effect on the prevention and management of many chronic health conditions.
FAME Guiding Principles
Food As Medicine Everyday (FAME) education programs are offered through Saint Luke’s Muriel I. Kauffman Women’s Heart Center, which is a founding member of the Food As Medicine Institute Alliance.
The FAME program is built on six guiding principles:
- Choose whole foods and low-processed foods
- Whole foods are foods that are not highly processed or altered, such as vegetables, fruits, whole grains, nuts, beans, wild fish, grass-fed beef, and eggs
- Highly processed foods lack essential nutrients and fiber, causing deficiencies and chronic diseases
- Develop a diverse, primarily plant-based diet
- Plants such as vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, legumes, and whole grains are nutrient-dense, fiber rich, and full of antioxidants that help reduce inflammation in the body
- Include foods made from healthy animals
- Animals raised in their natural environment produce food that is more nutrient dense and less inflammatory
- Choose grass-fed, organically raised meats over conventionally raised meats when available
- Choose anti-inflammatory foods
- A personal diet high in added sugar and highly processed foods leads to inflammation
- Inflammation can lead to the development of chronic diseases, such as heart disease and Type 2 diabetes
- Understand individuals have unique food needs
- No one “diet” is right for everyone
- Health history, lifestyle, and food sensitivities can all dictate unique individual food needs
- Choose foods that make you feel energized
- Care about food and food production
- Your food choices can either nourish you or increase your risk for disease
- Understand where your food comes from and how the food is produced
- Quality grown foods lead to quality health
All recipes are PDFs.
“I think the program was excellent, very balanced and covered a whole range of nutrition topics. I learned a lot. The recipes are easy to prepare and the ingredients are affordable. FAME was great!”
“I’m so happy that I took the FAME class! I was always intimidated by cooking, especially with spices and ingredients that I had never used before. After taking this class, I'm not afraid anymore! Grace did a wonderful job teaching the class the basics of healthy eating; how to prepare delicious, quick-prep dishes; and offered lots of ways to vary the recipes. She also taught us how to prepare all of the ingredients first and then how to safely cut and dice food items with a sharp knife. I really needed these lessons! I learned so much in this class that it's impossible to list all the benefits I gained in the 10-week class. Thank you very much for helping me learn how to shop for and prepare healthy and delicious food!"
“I loved the classes and loved branching out to new recipes and food items I have never tried before. It was a lot of fun!”