Food as Medicine Everyday (FAME) is a 12-week program offering nutrition education classes on a variety of topics to help improve diet and lifestyle. You’ll learn simple techniques to cook tasty, nutritious meals. Saint Luke’s Muriel I. Kauffman Women’s Heart Center is a founding member of the Food as Medicine Institute Alliance.
Lucas Schubert, Nutritional Coordinator with Saint Luke's Mid America Heart Institute and the Food As Medicine Everyday (FAME) program, shares an easy and healthy avocado toast recipe with a twist for National Garlic Day with the FOX4 morning show.
- 2 slices whole grain, sourdough, or rye bread
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tomato slices
- 4 basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Toast the bread until brown and crisp.
- Cut the avocado in half, remove pit and scoop out the flesh into a bowl.
- Add salt and pepper, then mash with a fork until mixed thoroughly.
- Rub one side of each slice of bread with the cut side of the garlic until well coated and fragrant.
- Brush the toast with olive oil.
- Divide the mashed avocado evenly on the toast.
- Top toast with two basil leaves and two tomato slices in that order.
- Drizzle balsamic vinegar on top.
See how to make tomato basil avocado toast below.