KSHB: FAME: Avocado Black Bean Brownies
Food As Medicine Everyday (FAME) is a 12-week program offering nutrition classes on a variety of topics to help improve diet and lifestyle. You'll learn simple techniques to cook tasty, nutritious meals. Saint Luke's Muriel I. Kauffman Women's Heart Center is a founding member of the Food As Medicine Institute Alliance.
Lucas Schubert, Nutritional Coordinator with Saint Luke's Mid America Heart Institute and the Food as Medicine Everyday (FAME) program, shares another healthy chocolate Valentine's Day treat with KSHB's midday show.
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 eggs
- 1 medium ripe avocado
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8x8" baking pan.
- Place all ingredients besides chocolate chips into blender or food processor. Process until ingredients form a smooth batter.
- Add in chocolate chips and fold into batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out somewhat clean and top of the brownies begin to crack.
- Cool pan completely on wire rack then cut into 12 brownies.
Watch below for more on the health benefits of the avocado and black bean brownies.