FOX4: FAME: Chocolate Bowls with Coconut Berry Bliss Filling
Food as Medicine Everyday (FAME) is a 12-week program offering nutrition education classes on a variety of topics to help improve diet and lifestyle. You’ll learn simple techniques to cook tasty, nutritious meals. Saint Luke’s Muriel I. Kauffman Women’s Heart Center is a founding member of the Food as Medicine Institute Alliance.
See the full recipe below.
Makes 6 bowls
- 12oz dark chocolate
- 6 balloons
- Double boiler
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
Note: Water balloons will likely not work as they are too thin, heat will cause them to pop.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler.
- While chocolate is melting, blow up balloons to about 3-4 inches in diameter.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Evenly space six dollops (or teaspoons) of chocolate on the baking sheet. These will be the base of the bowls, so space out enough for all balloons to fit.
- Dip balloon in chocolate about 2 inches. Spin to evenly coat the sides. Let excess drip off and scrape on the side of the bowl if necessary.
- Place each balloon, chocolate side down, on the dollop of chocolate on the baking sheet.
- Place in the freezer for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove balloons and cut a small hole in the top of the balloons with scissors to deflate.
- Let bowls sit for 5-10 minutes. As bowls thaw, the balloon will release from the chocolate.
- Remove the balloon and fill with Coconut Berry Bliss or favorite dessert!
Coconut Berry Bliss
- 2 cans full-fat canned coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups fresh berries (raspberries, blueberries, strawberries)
- 4 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 4 tablespoons chopped nuts
- Open canned coconut milk. Add the cream to a small bowl. Save the liquid for other uses if desired.
- Add maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt to the bowl.
- Using a fork or electric mixer, mix the ingredients together thoroughly. Taste and add additional syrup, cinnamon, vanilla, and/or salt to desired flavor.
- Let chill in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, add berries. Top with coconut mixture, nuts, and seeds.
Note: Place the canned coconut in the refrigerator, upside down at least an hour before use. This allows easier access to the cream.