FOX4: FAME: Immune-Boosting Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Food as Medicine Everyday (FAME) is a 12-week program offering nutrition education classes on a variety of topics to help improve diet and lifestyle. You’ll learn simple techniques to cook tasty, nutritious meals. Saint Luke’s Muriel I. Kauffman Women’s Heart Center is a founding member of the Food as Medicine Institute Alliance.
Lucas Schubert, Nutritional Coordinator with Saint Luke's Mid America Heart Institute and the Food As Medicine Everyday (FAME) program, shares an easy immune-boosting recipe ahead of flu season with the FOX4 morning show.
- 4 cups Brussels sprouts, halved
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup pecans
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Add Brussels sprouts to a large bowl. Stir in olive oil until well coated.
- Mix in pecans, garlic, salt, cumin, cinnamon, and cayenne to the Brussels sprouts.
- Spread ingredients onto baking pan.
- Place in oven and bake for 30-45 minutes. Brussels sprouts should be soft. Remove from oven if pecans start to burn.
Watch the step-by-step below.