February 4, 2021
A heart-healthy recipe provided by Food As Medicine Everyday Program offered through Saint Luke’s Muriel I. Kauffman Women’s Heart Center.
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 – 8-ounce bag corn chips
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 4 kale leaves, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- Optional - ground turkey/beef or shredded chicken/pork
Guacamole Cilantro, chopped Sour cream Fresh salsa Servings: 6
- Pre-heat the oven to 375◦F
- In a bowl mix beans, cumin, cayenne pepper, and salt. Lightly smash beans to keep beans from rolling around on chips.
- Spread chips out on a baking sheet. Layer first with beans. Then, add chopped onions, bell pepper, kale, and tomatoes. Top with grated cheese.
- Place in oven and bake for approximately 10 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Top with guacamole, chopped cilantro, sour cream and/or fresh salsa.
- Cutting boards and knives
- Measuring spoons
- Dry measuring cups
- Can opener
- Cheese grater
- Baking Sheet
- Small bowls for toppings
*Additional display, cooking, serving, and eating utensils as needed