KCTV: FAME: Healthy Chocolate Covered Strawberries
Food As Medicine Everyday (FAME) is a 12-week program offering nutrition classes on a variety of topics to help improve diet and lifestyle. You'll learn simple techniques to cook tasty, nutritious meals. Saint Luke's Muriel I. Kauffman Women's Heart Center is a founding member of the Food As Medicine Institute Alliance.
Lucas Schubert, Nutritional Coordinator with Saint Luke's Mid America Heart Institute and the Food as Medicine Everyday (FAME) program, shares a delicious and healthy recipe to make for Valentine's Day with KCTV's Better Kansas City.
- 1 pint-basket fresh strawberries (1 pound)
- 2 cups dark chocolate chips or chopped chocolate (12 ounces)
- 4 ounces white chocolate for decorating (1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Double boiler (or bowl and saucepan)
- Foam board
- Baking sheet
- Small plastic bag
- Rinse strawberries under cool running water and gently pat dry. The strawberries must be completely dry before dipping; additional air-drying is recommended.
- Place a toothpick in the top of each strawberry and pull back the leaves from the strawberry skin.
- Fill the bottom of a double boiler with 1-2 inches of water and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Place all of the dark chocolate in the top of the double boiler, stirring occasionally as the chocolate completely melts. Remove the bowl from heat.
- Place a piece of foam board on a baking sheet. This will allow for easy transporting to the refrigerator.
- Using the end of the toothpick, dip each strawberry into the melted chocolate to desired coverage while turning the strawberry to completely coat it. Lift the strawberry out, lightly shake and scrape the tip on the bowl to remove any excess chocolate.
- Turn the strawberry over and push toothpick into the foam board to let cool. Complete all strawberries this way. NOTE: If you plan to add toppings/coatings (nuts, sprinkles, coconut), dip the strawberry before placing into the foam board.
- Move the foam board to the refrigerator and let sit for 10 minutes, or until chocolate has set.
- Melt the white chocolate and 1 tablespoon coconut oil following the same melting process. Transfer melted white chocolate to a small ziplock bag.
- Push the melted white chocolate to one corner of the bag and snip a small corner off the bag. While holding the strawberry by the toothpick, squeeze the bag gently and quickly drizzle the white chocolate over the strawberries for your desired decoration.
- Let the white chocolate set and then serve.
Watch the video below for easy step-by-step directions for chocolate covered strawberries.