Hedrick Medical Center Medical Staff Announces New Scholarship Opportunity
The Hedrick Medical Center Medical Staff is pleased to announce the creation of a new scholarship program for area residents. The scholarship will be named the Harkness Scholarship, after Dr. James A. Harkness, a former Chillicothe physician and Chief of Staff at Hedrick Medical Center. Dr. Harkness died in 1988.
The purpose of the Harkness Scholarship is to support and encourage individuals in the surrounding rural communities who have chosen the path to become a physician. Scholarships will be awarded annually, up to $1,000 per recipient.
Each scholarship will require recipients to share their grades and/or school status if requested by the Hedrick Medical Center Medical Staff. Applicants may apply for and receive this award each year throughout their education/training.
Eligible candidates include:
- High school student accepted to a 6-year medical school
- Undergraduate in pre-medicine program
- Undergraduate accepted into medical school
- Current medical student
- Must be from one of the following counties; Caldwell, Carroll, Chariton, Daviess, Mercer, Grundy, Harrison, Livingston, Linn, Mercer, Putnam, Ray, Saline, Sullivan
- Minimum GPA of 3.5
- Completed 20 hours of community service
Applicants will also be required to write a short essay, and include two letters of recommendation.