Saint Luke’s Mid America Heart Institute offers the region’s only comprehensive, multidisciplinary Vascular Program.
We’re able to help more patients with vascular disease because of our broad group of subspecialists who consult on individual cases. This includes physicians who specialize in:
- Cardiothoracic surgery
- Interventional cardiology
- Interventional radiology
- Vascular surgery
- Wound care
Our team uses the latest diagnostic technology, minimally invasive endovascular techniques, surgical techniques, and evidence-based practices for treating vascular disease and conditions affecting arteries, veins, and lymph vessels.
- Angioplasty—A catheter is threaded to a leg or arm artery or vein to expand a balloon to relieve blockage to restore blood flow.
- Aortic arch/root replacement—A partial or total replacement of the aortic arch when it is enlarged or torn.
- Atherectomy—A catheter or laser is used to remove plaque from a blood vessel.
- Bypass grafting surgery—A vein or fabric tube is used to direct blood flow around a blockage and provide new blood flow to the extremity or organ.
- Embolization—A slender metal coil is threaded through a catheter into an aneurysm to cause it to clot off or into an artery to stop it from bleeding.
- Endovascular aneurysm repair (EVAR)—A fabric covered metallic stent is inserted into the aneurysm to exclude it from the circulation.
- Endarterectomy—The plaque clogging an artery is removed to restore full blood flow.
- Surgical aneurysm repair—An aneurysm is removed and replaced by a fabric tube.
- Stent placement—A wire mesh stainless steel tube (stent) is guided to the blocked artery to prop it open and prevent it from closing again.
- Thrombolysis—Using either catheters or intravenous lines, clot-busting drugs are administered to dissolve blockages and restore blood flow.
Diagnostic testing available:
- Physiologic testing, including ankle-brachial index (ABI) testing and transcutaneous oximetry (TCOMs)
- Computed tomography angiogram (CTA)
- Magnetic resonance angiogram (MRA)
Make an Appointment
Call 816-932-2585 to make an appointment.