Saint Luke’s Hospital of Kansas City’s Outpatient Neurorehabilitation Clinic
Patients will work with a full team of therapists who specialize in neurorehabilitation— and have had great success with past patients. The team includes:
- Physical therapists who evaluate and treat strength, coordination, flexibility, and such functional skills as walking and balance, problems with pain, and vertigo. Individuals with balance and vestibular dysfunction who are at risk for falls benefit from specialized assessments and treatments using the computerized NeuroCom Balance Master system. Therapists are also experienced in evaluating and treating foot drop using the Bioness lower extremity device.
- Occupational therapists who provide evaluation and treatment of upper extremity function, activities of daily living, visual/perceptual skills, and pre-driving skills. Specialized treatment for recovery from stroke and other neurological disorders includes the use of advanced rehabilitation technologies, such as the Saebo and Bioness devices. Patients with visual and perceptual impairment benefit from specialized equipment, including the Centra View and Dynavision.
- Speech therapists provide evaluation and treatment for patients who have difficulty with communication, memory, information processing, and executive functions. Speech therapists also evaluate and treat swallowing disorders, voice dysfunction, and impairments resulting from head and neck cancer. Patients benefit from specialized technologies and biofeedback using the Iowa Oral Pressure Instrument and Visi-pitch.
Services can help patients with:
- Stroke or other neurological conditions—multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease
- A history of falls and unsteadiness
- Peripheral neuropathies
- Amputee rehabilitation
- Vestibular dysfunction, including Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV)
- Head and neck cancer
- Voice and swallowing disorders
- Communication and cognitive disorders
- Impairment in visual function following stroke or neurological injury
Patients must have a doctor’s order before they can be scheduled for an appointment.
We’ll be sure to find an appointment time that is convenient for patient and family needs. If more than one therapist needs to be seen, appointments are often scheduled back-to-back to avoid unnecessary waiting time. Parking is free in the attached garage.