5 Hydroxyindoleacetic Acid (HIAA) Quantitative, 24 Hour Urine
Avoid bananas, avocados, plums, eggplant, tomatoes, plantain, pineapple, walnuts, and interfering drugs for a 72 hour period prior to and during collection. Foods and medications associated with altered urinary HIAA results:
Aspirin, chlorpromazine (Thorazine), corticotropin, dihydroxyphenylacetic acid, alcohol, gentisic acid, homogentisic acid, hydrazine derivatives, imipramine (Tofranil(r)), <isocarboxazid (Marplan), keto acids, levodopa, MAO inhibitors, methenamine methyldopa (Aldomet (r)), perchlorperazine, phenothiazines (Compazine(r)), promazine, promethazine (Mepergan(r)).
Acetaminophen, acetanilide, caffeine, coumaric acid, diazepam (Valium(r)), ephedrine, fluorouracil glycerol guaiacolate (Guaifenesin), melphalan (Alkeran(r)), mephenesin, methamphetamine (Desoxyn), methocarbamol (Robaxin(r)), naproxen, nicotine, phenacetin, phenmetrazine, phenobarbital, phentolamine, rauwolfia, reserpine.
24 Hour urine collection.
Alternately, a pour-off sample from a 24 hour urine collection is acceptable but the client must measure the 24 hour urine volume and indicate the volume on the requisition.
24-Hour Urine Collections:
1. To begin the collection, empty the bladder and discard this urine. Record this time and date as the start of the collection.
2. 24-Hour urine collections should be started Sunday through Thursday.
3. Collect all urine excreted during the next 24 hours in the urine collection container.
4. Exactly 24 hours after the collection was begun, empty the bladder for the last time. Add this urine to the 24 hour urine container. The collection is finished.
5. The starting and ending times of collection are required.
6. The container should be refrigerated during and after the 24 hour collection period until it can be brought to Saint Luke’s Regional Laboratories.
Enter the total volume in the MLAB prompt.
Frozen - 14 days
Refrigerated - 14 days
Room temperature - 7 days
Urine specimens with a pH < 2 will be rejected.
83497 - Hydroxyindoleacetic acid, (5-HIAA)
81050 - Urine timed measurement
0.0 - 14.9