Pediatric occupational therapy focuses on developing specific life skills. Occupational therapy at The Children’s SPOT helps children develop age-appropriate motor coordination, body awareness, hand/eye coordination, sensory processing, visual motor, and self-care skills.
Scope of Practice
Our occupational therapists develop individual treatment plans for each child. We base these plans on patient evaluations and their medical diagnoses. Sessions might focus on:
- Fine motor skills: cutting, pasting, drawing, balance, coordination/bilateral integration, painting, manipulating toys, controlling switch toys, grasp, handwriting
- Improved sensory integration: proprioception, auditory, tactile, olfactory/oral, visual, and vestibular processing
- Visual motor skills: light stimulation, visual tracking, eye teaming, recognizing contrasts, visual perception
- Self-care: dressing, toileting, hygiene, buttoning, zipping, and tying shoes
- Motor planning abilities: object manipulation, bilateral coordination, crossing midline, and overall fine/gross motor development
- Functional play skills: manipulating toys for purposeful play, interacting with environment appropriately and engaging with others
- Reflex Integration: Integration of primitive reflexes that should be integrated in the first years of life
What to expect
- Telephone inquiry: Gathering information about your child to determine if an evaluation and/or therapy are appropriate
- Scheduling: Discuss how soon an appointment can be scheduled, day and time preferences, insurance information, and referring pediatrician
- Evaluation: Determine if a comprehensive evaluation is needed for your child. If your child has a current and comprehensive occupational therapy evaluation, Individualized Education Plan (IEP), or Individualized Family Service Plan (IFSP), we can typically develop a therapy plan based on those tests.
- Plan of care: We will develop appropriate goals and frequency of care based on evaluation results and family input.
We invite and encourage parents to get involved in the therapeutic process and learn how to work on therapeutic and behavioral goals at home. There are opportunities to observe by either being in the room, or using an observation system available for most therapy rooms. Home practice materials and suggestions will be provided on a case-by-case basis depending on your child’s response to treatment techniques. Your willingness to support and practice skills at home or in the community should expedite your child’s progress.
Coverage is dependent upon your individual plan. You will want to check to see if you are in-network or out-of-network with Saint Luke’s Hospital of Kansas City. You may have a deductible or co-pay for services and there may be exclusions to your plan regarding therapy that is covered.
Family assistance program
At The Children’s SPOT, we believe that all children deserve the best possible start in life. Our Family Assistance Program provides support to families who are uninsured or under insured, and is made possible by gifts and grants from individuals, corporations, and foundations in the Kansas City metro area.
We are committed to provide the best possible care for your child, and your family but we do need your help. Your child’s success depends on attending every therapy session and arriving on time. If you are unable to attend a scheduled appointment, please call us as soon as possible before the appointment at 816-932-3832 to cancel or reschedule. We have many children in need of services. Multiple cancellations may result in termination of services.