The Children’s SPOT provides therapy for picky eaters who struggle with eating a variety of food. We have speech therapists who are trained in the Sequential Oral Sensory (SOS) approach to feeding. The idea is to make eating fun and help children broaden the lists of foods they will try.
Feeding therapy includes intensive parent training to help you learn how to work with your child at home and carry over skills learned in therapy. Sessions include a consistent routine of activities, including:
- Gross motor sensory engagement
- Oral motor stimulation (blowing bubbles and using food to strengthen the tongue, lips, and jaw)
- Sensory exploration of food related to all senses of the body, such as:
- Color, shape, size of food
- Textures and temperatures
- Crunchy vs. soft foods
- Spicy, sweet, salty
- Positive reinforcement of eating
- Family-style eating
- Learning to clean up in a fun way
Therapy will use the SOS approach to feeding. This program uses systematic desensitization to progress through a 32-step hierarchy of increased food acceptance. A play-based approach is utilized in treatment for younger children. We use a food science approach for older children. Parent education materials will be provided throughout the course of therapy.
Parents participate in therapy sessions to receive training and encourage carryover at home. All elements of the feeding program (education materials, parent participation, family meals and therapy meals) are essential to the success of feeding therapy.
What to expect
- Telephone inquiry: Gather more information about your child to determine if an evaluation and/or therapy are appropriate
- Scheduling: Discuss how soon an appointment can be scheduled, day and time preferences, insurance information, and referring pediatrician
- Evaluation: Determine if a comprehensive feeding evaluation is needed for your child
- Plan of care: Develop appropriate goals and frequency of care based on evaluation results and family input
Coverage is dependent upon your individual plan. You will want to check to see if you are in-network or out-of-network with Saint Luke’s Hospital of Kansas City. You may have a deductible or co-pay for services and there may be exclusions to your plan regarding therapy that is covered.
Family Assistance Program
At The Children’s SPOT, we believe that all children deserve the best possible start in life. Our Family Assistance Program provides support to families who are uninsured or under insured, and is made possible by gifts and grants from individuals, corporations, and foundations in the Kansas City metro area.
We are committed to provide the best possible care for your child, and your family but we do need your help. Your child’s success depends on attending every therapy session and arriving on time. If you are unable to attend a scheduled appointment, please call us as soon as possible before the appointment at 816-932-3832 to cancel or reschedule. We have many children in need of services. Multiple cancellations may result in termination of services.