- Medical School
- Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA
- Med/Internal, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA
- Cardiovascular Disease, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- American Board of Internal Medicine - Subspecialty in Cardiovascular Disease
- Professor of Medicine, University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Medicine
- cardiac computed tomography
- nuclear cardiology
- clinical cardiology
Dr. Thompson is originally from Atlanta, Georgia and Greenville, South Carolina and has practiced medicine with Saint Luke's Cardiovascular Consultants since 1995. He earned his undergraduate college and medical school degrees from Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia and served a residency in Internal Medicine and a fellowship in Cardiology at Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School in Boston. Before moving to Kansas City, Dr. Thompson was consultant in cardiovascular diseases at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN and Jacksonville, FL.
Dr. Thompson’s specialties include clinical cardiology and the fields of nuclear cardiology and cardiac and vascular CT. He is a member of the Board of Directors of the American Society of Nuclear Cardiology. Dr. Thompson has received numerous honors including AOA Medical Honorary Society, Top Docs of Kansas City, and the Alan Forker Cardiovascular Teaching Award.
Saint Luke's News
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Choice POS II Aexcel Local
- Aetna Choice POS II Local
- Aetna Elect Choice
- Aetna Federal Employees Health Benefit Plan
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna HMO Local
- Aetna Mail Handlers Benefit Plan
- Aetna Managed Choice
- Aetna MDOT & Missouri State Highway Patrol
- Aetna Medicare
- Aetna Missouri Preferred
- Aetna MU myChoice Health Program
- Aetna Open Choice PPO
- Aetna Select
- Aetna Select Local
- Aetna Signature Administrators (ASA)
- Aetna Workers Comp
- BCBS of Kansas (call provider)
- BCBS of Kansas City (PPO)
- BCBS of Kansas City Freedom Network
- BCBS of Kansas City Freedom Network Select
- BCBS of Kansas City Preferred Care
- BCBS of Kansas City Preferred Care Blue
- BCBS of Kansas City Traditional
- Blue Medicare Advantage Access (PPO)
- Blue Medicare Advantage Complete (HMO)
- Blue Medicare Advantage Essential (PPO)
- Blue Medicare Advantage Plus (HMO)
- Century Health Solutions (PPO)
- Cigna (HMO)
- Cigna (Open Access)
- Cigna (PPO)
- CompResults (WC)
- Coventry Advantra Freedom (PPO)
- Coventry Health and Life Insurance Company
- Coventry Health Care
- Coventry Medicare Advantra (PPO)
- Golden Rule
- Health Choice of Northwest Missouri (PPO)
- Healthcare USA-MC+ (Aetna Better Health)
- HealthLink (HMO)
- HealthLink (PPO) through Freedom Network
- Home State Health Plan (Missouri practices)
- Humana (PPOx)
- Humana Choice Care (PPO)
- Humana Choice PPO (Medicare Advantage PPO)
- Humana Community (HMO)
- Humana Gold Choice Medicare Advantage PFFS
- Humana Gold Plus (HMO)
- Humana Gold Plus HMO SNP
- Humana SmartExpress PPO
- Humana SmartNet PPO
- Humana SmartSuite PPO
- Integrated Health Plan
- Kansas Medicaid
- Medica Connect
- Medica Select
- Missouri Care (Missouri practices only)
- Missouri Medicaid
- MultiPlan/PCHS (PPO)
- Occupational Health Management (WC)
- OHARA Managed Care (WC)
- ProviDRs Care Network (formerly WPPA)
- Pyramid Life (Medicare Advantage PPO)
- Railroad Medicare
- Sunflower State Health Plan (Kansas practices)
- Triwest Veterans Affairs Patient Centered Community Care
- United Healthcare Choice
- United Healthcare Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Community Plan
- United Healthcare Definity Health Reimbursement Account
- United Healthcare Definity Health Savings Account
- United Healthcare Golden Rule HMO
- United Healthcare Indemnity
- United Healthcare Managed Indemnity
- United Healthcare Options PPO
- United Healthcare Select
- United Healthcare Select Plus
- UnitedHealthcare Evercare DH
- UnitedHealthcare Evercare DH-POS
- UnitedHealthcare Evercare DP
- UnitedHealthcare Evercare RDP
- UnitedHealthcare Medicare Choice
- UnitedHealthcare Medicare Choice Essential
- UnitedHealthcare Medicare Complete
- UnitedHealthcare Medicare Complete Essential
- UnitedHealthcare Medicare Complete Plus
- UnitedHealthcare Medicare DH
- UnitedHealthcare Medicare Plus Essential
- US Department of Labor
Joseph Vaglio, M.D., M.B.A., David M. Safley, M.D., Mohammed Rahman, M.D., Philip G. Jones, M.S., Randall C. Thompson, M..D., Harlan Krumholz, M.D., John A. Spertus, M.D. Anemia at Discharge is Associated with Worse Survival After Acute Coronary Syndromes. Am J Cardiol 2005:96(4):496-499.
Thompson, RC, Cullom SJ. Issues regarding radiation dosage of cardiac nuclear and radiography procedures. Journal of Nuclear Cardiology 2006:13(1)12-23.
Ghose T, Thompson RC. Revascularization for patients with severe coronary artery disease and left ventricular dysfunction. Current Cardiology Reports 2006:8;255-260.
Russell RR, Abbott BG, Arrighi JA, Bengel FM, Cohen MC, Garcia EV, Hendel RC, Holly TA, Mieres JH, Shaw LJ, Thomas GS, Thompson RC, Wackers FJ, Bax JJ. Highlights of the 2007 scientific sessions of the American Society of Nuclear Cardiology, San Diego, California, September 6-9, 2007. J Am Coll Cardiol 2007; 50: 2336-43.
Thompson RC, Thibodeau J, Ramza BM. Collateral Circulation in Superior Vena Cava Syndrome. J Cardiovasc CT 2008; 2: 57-58
Thompson, RC, The problem of radiotracer abdominal activity in myocardial perfusion Imaging Studies. J Nucl Cardiol 2008:15;159-61.
Lee JH, Abuannadi M, Jones PG, Bateman T, Thompson R, O”Keefe JH. Dobutamine-induced chest pain does not predict ischemic findings on myocardial perfusion imaging. J Nucl Cardiol 2008; 15: 526-9.
Thomas GS, Thompson RC, Miyamoto MI, Ip TK, Rice DL, Milikien D, Lieu HD, Mathur VS. The RegEx Trial: A randomized, double Blind, placebo and active-controlled Study combining regadenoson, a selective A2a Adenosine agonist, with low-level exercise, in patients undergoing myocardial perfusion imaging. J Nucl Cardiol 2009; 16: 63-72.
Edward P. Ficaro, PhD,a Pat Zanzonico, PhD,b Michael G. Stabin, PhD,c Gilbert L. Raff, MD,d Randall C. Thompson, MD,e Andrew J. Einstein, MD, PhD,f Milena J. Henzlova, MD,g Mathew J. Budoff, MD,h Vasken Dilsizian, MD,i Warren K. Laskey, MD,j Joao Lima, MD,k Joseph L. Roti Roti, PhD,l Timothy M. Bateman, MD,m Variability in radiation dose estimates from nuclear and computed tomography diagnostic imaging. J Nucl Card 2009; 16: 161.
Allam AH, Thompson RC, Wann LS, Miyamoto MI, Thomas GS. Computed tomographic assessment of atherosclerosis in ancient Egyptian mummies. JAMA. 2009 Nov 18;302(19):209 1-4.
Bybee KA, Lee J, Markiewicz R, Longmore R, McGhie AI, O’Keefe JH, Hsu BL, Kennedy K, Thompson RC, Bateman TM. Diagnostic and clinical benefit of combined coronary calcium and perfusion assessment in patients undergoing PET/CT myocardial perfusion stress imaging. J Nucl Cardiol 2010 Apr;17(2):188-96.
Adel Allam, Abdelhalium Noreldin, Gomma Adelmaksoub, Ibrahem Badr, Hany Abdel Amer, Muhammed Al-Tohamy Soliman, Gregory S Thomas, Randall C. Thompson, Michael I Miyamoto, Ian G Thomas, Adam Thompson, Samuel Wann. Something Old, Something New – Computer Tomography Studies of the Cardiovascular System in Ancient Egyptian Mummies. The American Heart Hospital Journal 2010;8:3-6.
Furqan H. Tejani, MD FACC, Randall C. Thompson, MD, FACC,FASNC, Ami E.Iskandrian, MD, MACC, FAHA, FASNC, Bruce E. McNutt, MD, and Billy Franks, PhD. Effect of caffeine on SPECT myocardial perfusion imaging during regadenoson pharmacologic stress: rationale and design of a prospective multicenter study. J Nucl Cardiol Published online November 17, 2010.
Einstein AJ, Johnson LL. Bokhari S, Son J, Thompson RC Bateman TM, Hayes SW Berman DS. Agreement of visual estimation of coronary artery calcium from low-dose CT attenuation correction scans in hybrid PET/CT and SPECT/CT with standard Agatston score. JACC 2010;56(23):1914-
Bybee KA, Lee J, Markiewicz R, Longmore R, McGhie AI, O’Keefe JH, Hsu BL, Kennedy, Thompson RC, Bateman TM. Diagnostic and clinical benefit of combined coronary calcium and perfusion assessment in patients undergoing PET/CT, myocardial perfusion stress imaging. J Nucl Cardiol 2010;17:188-96.
Manuel Cerqueira MD, Randall Thompson MD, Kevin Allman, MD, William Van Decker MD, Edward Ficaro PhD, Christopher Hansen MD, Kenneth Nichols PhD, Marko Yakovlevitch MD,. Recommendations for reducing radiation exposure in myocardial perfusion imaging. J Nucl Cardiol 2010;17:709-18.
Tejani FH, Thompson, RC, Iskandrian AE, McNutt BE, Franks. Effect of caffeine of SPECT myocardial perfusion imaging during regadenoson pharmacologic stress: Rationale and degisn of a prospective, randomized, multicenter study. J. Nucl Cardiol 2011;18:73-71.
Allam AH, Thompson RC, Wann LS, Miyamoto MI, et al. Atherosclerosis in Ancient Egyptian Mummies: The Horus Study. J Am Coll Cardio Imag 2011;4:315-27.
Abdelfattah A, Allam AH, Wann S, Thompson RC, et al. Atheroscletoric cardiovascular disease in Egyptian women: 1570 BCE-2011 CE, Int J Cardiol (2012), doi:10.1016/j.ijcard.2012.01.082.
Solomon CS and Thompson RC. Role of Calcium Scoring in the Patient with a Normal SPECT. Curr Cardiovasc Imaging Rep 5:173–178, 2012
Thompson RC. Regadenoson stress in patients with asthma and COPD: A breath of fresh air. J Nucl Cardiol Published online April 24, 2012.
Koshy S and Thompson RC. Radiation Dose Reduction Strategies and Radiation Safety. Cardiology in Review, 20(3):139-144, May/June 2012.
Thompson RC, Regadenoson stress in patients with asthma and COPD: a breath of fresh air. J Nucl Cardiol. 2012 Aug;19(4):647-8.
Thompson RC, Patil H, Thompson EC, Thomas GS, Al-Amoodi M, Kennedy KF, Bybee KA, Iain McGhie A, O'Keefe JH Jr, Oakes L, Bateman TM. Regadenoson pharmacologic stress for myocardial perfusion imaging: A three-way comparison between regadenoson administered at peak exercise, during walk recovery, or no-exercise. J Nucl Cardiol. 2012 Dec 12
On Staff At
- Anderson County Hospital
- Hedrick Medical Center
- Saint Luke's Cushing Hospital
- Saint Luke's East Hospital
- Saint Luke's Hospital of Kansas City
- Saint Luke's North Hospital–Barry Road
- Saint Luke's North Hospital–Smithville
- Saint Luke's South Hospital
- Wright Memorial Hospital