Food as Medicine Everyday (FAME) is a 12-week program offering nutrition education classes on a variety of topics to help improve diet and lifestyle. You’ll learn simple techniques to cook tasty, nutritious meals. Saint Luke’s Muriel I. Kauffman Women’s Heart Center is a founding member of the Food as Medicine Institute Alliance.
Lucas Schubert, Nutritional Coordinator with Saint Luke's Mid America Heart Institute and the Food As Medicine Everyday (FAME) program, shares how to make two tasty recipes at Seasons 52 for the 2019 Plaza Art Fair.
See the full recipes below.
Wild Rice Salad
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice blend
- 1/2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh chives, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/4 green onions, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Cook wild rice blend according to package directions.
- While the rice is still hot, add in pecans, tomatoes, chives, parsley, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and thyme directly to the pot of rice. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in bell pepper and green onions.
- Combine vinegar, 3/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper in a small bowl. Stir until salt dissolves. Whisk in oil. Add to salad and stir until well blended.
(Recipe adapted from Green Eating by Publications International, Ltd.)
Coconut Berry Bliss
- 2 cans full-fat canned coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups fresh berries (raspberries, blueberries, strawberries)
- 4 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 4 tablespoons chopped nuts/seeds
- Open canned coconut milk and scoop out cream into a large bowl. Discard coconut milk or save for other uses.
- Mix coconut cream with maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt in a large bowl.
- Taste and add more syrup, cinnamon, vanilla and/or salt for desired taste.
- Place one cup of berries into a small bowl. Add 1/4 cup of coconut mixture, plus 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed, and 1 tablespoon chopped nuts/seeds.
- Serve immediately.