KSHB: FAME: Heart-Healthy Egg & Veggie Muffin Bites
Food as Medicine Everyday (FAME) is a 12-week program offering nutrition education classes on a variety of topics to help improve diet and lifestyle. You’ll learn simple techniques to cook tasty, nutritious meals. Saint Luke’s Muriel I. Kauffman Women’s Heart Center is a founding member of the Food as Medicine Institute Alliance.
Lucas Schubert, Nutritional Coordinator with Saint Luke's Mid America Heart Institute and the Food As Medicine Everyday (FAME) program, shares how to make a heart-healthy egg & veggie muffin bites with the KSHB morning show on National Wear Red Day.
See the full recipe below.
- 12 eggs
- Salt and pepper
- Red or green bell pepper, diced
- Red or green onion, diced
- Broccoli, chopped and steamed
- Kale, chopped and steamed
- Spinach, chopped
- Mushrooms, diced
- Tomatoes, diced
- Black olives, diced
- Zucchini, diced
- Parsley or cilantro, chopped
- Jalapeno, diced
- Roasted chicken, chopped
- Ham, diced
- Cheddar, mozzarella, and/or parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 12-count muffin pan.
- Add desired veggies and protein to each muffin slot. Fill to the top, but don't pack too tightly.
- Top with shredded cheese (optional).
- In a large bowl, scramble eggs with a pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Pour scrambled eggs in with the fillings, until the egg reaches the top.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Note: the egg will rise quite high, but will deflate and be ready to serve when left to cool.
Servings: 12 bites