Food as Medicine Everyday (FAME) is a 12-week program offering nutrition education classes on a variety of topics to help improve diet and lifestyle. You’ll learn simple techniques to cook tasty, nutritious meals. Saint Luke’s Muriel I. Kauffman Women’s Heart Center is a founding member of the Food as Medicine Institute Alliance.
Lucas Schubert, Nutritional Coordinator with Saint Luke's Mid America Heart Institute and the Food As Medicine Everyday (FAME) program, shares how to make a healthy and fresh Colorful Coleslaw recipe for summer barbeques and gatherings with the FOX4 morning show.
- 1/2 large head green/red cabbage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cucumber, diced
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 3 asparagus spears, finely sliced
- 4 green onions, finely sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
Coleslaw Dressing Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large bowl, add chopped cabbage and salt. With your hands, gently massage the cabbage for 5 minutes or until tender. Drain excess liquid from bowl.
- Add cucumbers, carrots, asparagus, green onions, and cilantro to the bowl and mix with cabbage.
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a bowl and whisk thoroughly.
- Add dressing to cabbage salad and mix well. If time allows, let coleslaw marinate for 30-60 minutes.
Watch the full step-by-step below.