- Medical School
- Case Western Reserve School of Medicine, Cleveland, OH
- Internal Medicine, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, VA
- Cardiovascular Disease, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH
- Interventional Cardiology, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH
- American Board of Internal Medicine - Subspecialty in Cardiovascular Disease
- American Board of Internal Medicine - Subspecialty in Interventional Cardiology
- Associate Professor of Medicine, University of Missouri–Kansas City School of Medicine
- coronary artery disease
- structural heart disease
- percutaneous coronary intervention
- transcatheter aortic valve replacement
- transcatheter mitral valve repair/replacement
- paravalvular leak closure
Dr. Chhatriwalla is an interventional cardiologist and Clinical Scholar at Saint Luke’s Mid America Heart Institute, and an Associate Professor of Medicine at the University of Missouri-Kansas City. He specializes in Coronary and Structural Interventions, including transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) and transcatheter mitral valve repair and replacement (TMVR, Mitraclip). Dr. Chhatriwalla received his medical degree from Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine in Cleveland, OH. He completed an Internal Medicine residency at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville, VA and Cardiology and Interventional Cardiology fellowships at the Cleveland Clinic in Cleveland, OH.
Saint Luke's News
- Aetna Better Health/KanCare (KS Medicaid)
- Aetna Choice POS II Aexcel Local
- Aetna Choice POS II Local
- Aetna Elect Choice POS
- Aetna Federal Employees Health Benefit Plan HMO
- Aetna First Health Network (excluding limited benefit plans)
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna HMO Local
- Aetna Managed Choice POS
- Aetna Medicare Plan (Medicare Advantage HMO, PPO)
- Aetna Missouri Preferred
- Aetna Open Choice PPO
- Aetna Select HMO
- Aetna Select Local HMO
- Aetna Signature Administrators (ASA) HMO, POS, PPO
- Aetna UAW Retiree Medical Benefits Trust (Medicare Advantage HMO, PPO)
- Aetna Workers Comp
- Aetna/Coventry Advantra Freedom Medicare Advantage PPO
- Aetna/Coventry Advantra Freedom Plus Medicare Advantage PPO
- Aetna/Coventry Advantra Total Care Medicare Advantage PPO
- BCBS of Kansas (call provider)
- BCBS of Kansas Blue Choice Preferred Care Blue PPO
- BCBS of Kansas City Blue Select Plus (UCMO and City of KCMO)
- BCBS of Kansas City Federal PPO
- BCBS of Kansas City Freedom Network PPO
- BCBS of Kansas City Freedom Network Select PPO
- BCBS of Kansas City Preferred Care
- BCBS of Kansas City Preferred Care Blue
- BCBS of Kansas City Traditional
- BCBS of Kansas Federal
- BCBS of Kansas Traditional
- BCBS of Michigan Medicare Advantage PPO
- Blue KC Medicare Advantage HMO
- Blue KC Medicare Advantage PPO
- Century Health Solutions (PPO)
- Cigna HMO
- Cigna National POS Open Access
- Cigna OAP
- Cigna PPO
- CompResults/CompAlliance (WC) PPO
- Health Choice of Northwest Missouri (PPO)
- Home State Health Plan Missouri Medicaid (Missouri practices)
- Humana Choice PPO - Medicare Advantage
- Humana ChoiceCare PPO
- Humana Community HMO - Medicare Advantage
- Humana Gold Choice Medicare Advantage PFFS
- Humana Gold Plus HMO - Medicare Advantage
- Humana Gold Plus HMO SNP - Medicare Advantage
- Humana Kansas City PPOx
- Humana National POS-Open Access Plans
- Humana PPO
- Humana Preferred PPO
- Humana SmartExpress PPO
- Humana SmartNet PPO
- Humana SmartSuite PPO
- HumanaOne PPO
- Integrated Health Plan PPO
- Kansas Medicaid
- Medica Connect
- Medica Select
- Missouri Care Health Plan - Missouri Medicaid (MO practices only)
- MultiPlan/PCHS (PPO)
- Occupational Health Management PPO (WC)
- OHARA Managed Care (WC)
- Private Healthcare Systems PPO
- ProviDRs Care Network PPO (formerly WPPA)
- Sunflower State Health Plan Kansas Medicaid (Kansas practices)
- TRICARE WEST
- Triwest Veterans Affairs Patient Centered Community Care
- United Healthcare - All Savers Insurance Company POS
- United Healthcare - Choice HMO
- United Healthcare - Choice Plus POS
- United Healthcare - Community Plan (KS Practices, KanCare, Kansas Medicaid)
- United Healthcare - Community Plan (MO practices, Missouri Medicaid)
- United Healthcare - Definity Health Reimbursement Account POS
- United Healthcare - Definity Health Savings Account POS
- United Healthcare - Golden Rule HMO (HMO & PPO)
- United Healthcare - Indemnity
- United Healthcare - Managed Indemnity
- United Healthcare - Options PPO
- United Healthcare - Select HMO
- United Healthcare - Select Plus POS
- United Healthcare - United Health One (Short Term Medical)
- UnitedHealthcare - AARP Medicare Complete Choice PPO
- UnitedHealthcare - AARP Medicare Complete HMO
- UnitedHealthcare - AARP Medicare Complete PPO
- UnitedHealthcare - Dual Complete SNP PPO
- UnitedHealthcare - Group Medicare Advantage PPO
- UnitedHealthcare - Medicare Complete PPO
- UnitedHealthcare - Medicare Gold SNP PPO
- UnitedHealthcare - Medicare Silver SNP PPO
Saxon JT, Allen KB, Cohen DJ, Chhatriwalla AK. Bioprosthetic Valve Fracture During Valve-in-valve TAVR: Bench to Bedside. Interv Cardiol. 2018 Jan;13(1):20-26. doi: 10.15420/icr.2017:29:1.
Bleiziffer S, Erlebach M, Simonato M, et al. Incidence, predictors and clinical outcomes of residual stenosis after aortic valve-in-valve. Heart. 2018 Jan 19. pii: heartjnl-2017-312422. doi: 10.1136/heartjnl-2017-312422. [Epub ahead of print]
Chhatriwalla AK, Allen KA, Saxon JT, et al. Bioprosthetic Valve Fracture Improves Hemodynamic Results of Transcatheter Valve in Valve Replacement. Circulation: Cardiovasc Intv 2017, Jul;10(7). pii: e005216. doi: 10.1161/CIRCINTERVENTIONS.117.005216.
Allen KA, Chhatriwalla AK, Cohen DJ, et al. Bioprosthetic Valve Fracture to Facilitate Transcatheter Valve in Valve Implantation. Ann Thorac Surg 2017, Nov;104(5):1501-1508. doi: 10.1016/j.athoracsur.2017.04.007. Epub 2017 Jun 29.
Amin AP, Patterson M, House JA, et al. Costs Associated With Access Site and Same-Day Discharge Among Medicare Beneficiaries Undergoing Percutaneous Coronary Intervention: An Evaluation of the Current Percutaneous Coronary Intervention Care Pathways in the United States. J Amer Coll Cardiol Intv 2017;10:342–51
Qintar M, Chhatriwalla AK, Arnold SV, et al, Beyond restenosis: Patients' preference for drug eluting or bare metal stents. Cathet Cardiovasc Intervent. 2017. doi:10.1002/ccd.26946
Grodzinsky A, Arnold SV, Wang TY, Sharma P, Gosch K, Jones PG, Bhatt DL, Steg PG, McGuire DK, Cohen DJ, Spertus JA, Chhatriwalla AK, Lind M, Graham G, Kosiborod M. Bleeding risk following percutaneous coronary intervention in patients with diabetes prescribed dual anti-platelet therapy, Am Heart J, 2016,182;111-118.
Decker C, Garavalia L, Garavalia B, Gialde E, Yeh RW, Spertus J, Chhatriwalla AK. Understanding physician-level barriers to the use of individualized risk estimates in percutaneous coronary intervention, Am Heart J, 2016,178(190-197).
Baron SJ, Arnold SV, Herrmann HC, et al. Impact of Ejection Fraction and Aortic Valve Gradient on Outcomes of Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2016 May 24;67(20):2349-58.
Sharma PK, Chhatriwalla AK, Arnold SV, et al. Predicting Long-Term Bleeding After Percutaneous Coronary Intervention. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2016 Apr 1. doi: 10.1002/ccd.26529. [Epub ahead of print]
Chhatriwalla AK, Venkitachalam L, Kennedy KF, et al. Relationship between stent type and quality of life following percutaneous coronary intervention for acute myocardial infarction. Am Heart J. 2015; Oct;170(4):796-804.e3. doi: 10.1016/j.ahj.2015.07.021.
Spertus JA, Decker C, Gialde E, et al. Precision medicine to improve use of bleeding avoidance strategies and reduce bleeding in patients undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention: prospective cohort study before and after implementation of personalized bleeding risks. BMJ. 2015 Mar 24;350:h1302. doi: 10.1136/bmj.h1302
Amin AP, House JA, Safley DM, et al. Costs of transradial percutaneous coronary intervention. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2013 Aug;6(8):827-34. doi: 10.1016/j.jcin.2013.04.014. Epub 2013 Jul 17.
Rao S, Chhatriwalla AK, Kennedy KF, et al. Pre-procedural estimate of individualized bleeding risk impacts physicians' utilization of bivalirudin during percutaneous coronary intervention. J Amer Coll Cardiol 2013; 61: 1847-52.
Chhatriwalla AK, Amin AP, Kennedy KF, et al. Association between bleeding events and in-hospital mortality following percutaneous coronary intervention. JAMA 2013; 309: 1022-9.
Amin AP, Bachuwar A, Reid KJ, et al. Nuisance Bleeding With Prolonged Dual Antiplatelet Therapy After Acute Myocardial Infarction and its Impact on Health Status. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013; 61:2130-2138.
Arnold SV, Spertus JA, Lei Y, et al. Use of the Kansas City Cardiomyopathy Questionnaire for Monitoring Health Status in Patients With Aortic Stenosis Circulation: Heart Failure. 2013; 6: 61-67
Amin AP, Spertus JA, Cohen DJ, Chhatriwalla A, et al. Use of drug eluting stents as a function of predicted benefit: Clinical and economic implications of current practice. Arch Intern Med 2012; 172(15):1145-1152.
Chhatriwalla AK, Cam A, Unzek S, et al. Drug-eluting stent fracture and acute coronary syndrome. Cardiovasc Revasc Med 2009; 10: 166-171.
Shishehbor MH, Filby SJ, Chhatriwalla AK, et al. Impact of drug-eluting versus bare-metal stents on mortality in patients with anemia. J Amer Coll Cardiol Intv 2009; 2: 329-336.
Chhatriwalla AK, Nicholls SJ, Wang TH, et al. Low levels of LDL cholesterol and blood pressure and progression of coronary atherosclerosis. J Amer Coll Cardiol 2009; 53:1110-1115.
Chhatriwalla AK, Kramer CM, Peixoto AJ, Samady H. Measurement of LV mass by ventriculography in patients with LV dysfunction. Clin Cardiol 2008; 31:323-327.
Chhatriwalla AK, Prieto LR, Brunken RC, et al. Preliminary report on the diagnostic accuracy of Rubidium-82 cardiac PET perfusion imaging for the evaluation of ischemia in a pediatric population. Pediatr Cardiol 2008; 29: 732-738.
Chhatriwalla AK, Ragosta M, Powers ER et al. High left ventricular mass does not limit the utility of fractional flow reserve for the physiologic assessment of lesion severity. J Invasive Cardiol 2006; 18: 544-549.
Paquette LA, Bennett GD, Isaac MB, Chhatriwalla A. Effective 1,4-asymmetric C−C/C−O stereoinduction in indium-promoted coupling reactions of aldehydes to protected and unprotected [1-(bromomethyl)vinyl] alkanols. The status of intramolecular chelation within functionalized allylindium reagents. J Org Chem 1998; 63: 1836-1845.
Paquette LA, Bennett GD, Chhatriwalla A, Isaac MB. Factors influencing 1,4-asymmetric induction during indium-promoted coupling of oxygen-substituted allylic bromides to aldehydes in aqueous solution. J Org Chem 1997; 62: 3370-3374.
Chhatriwalla AK. “Bioprosthetic valve fracture to facilitate valve-in-valve transcatheter aortic valve replacement.” Structural Heart Cases: A Color Atlas of Pearls and Pitfalls. Ed. P Sorajja. Elsevier, 2017
Chhatriwalla AK. “Transcatheter left ventricular volume reduction with Parachute in a patient with ischemic cardiomyopathy.” Structural Heart Cases: A Color Atlas of Pearls and Pitfalls. Ed. P Sorajja. Elsevier, 2017
Chhatriwalla AK and Sorajja P. “Valvuloplasty and Transcatheter Valve Repair and Replacement.” 1003 Questions: An Interventional Cardiology Board Review. Ed. D Mukherjee. Wolters Kluwer Health, 2017
Chhatriwalla AK and Sorajja P. “Paravalvular Leaks.” SCAI Interventional Cardiology Review Book (3rd Edition). Eds. M Kern and A. Seto. Wolters Kluwer Health, 2017
Chhatriwalla AK and Sorajja P. “Valvular Heart Disease and Valvuloplasty.” CATHSAP 5. Eds. M Shishehbor and S. Rao. American College of Cardiology, 2016
Chhatriwalla AK. "Coronary flow reserve, fractional flow reserve, intravascular ultrasound and optical coherence tomography." Interventional Cardiology: Essential Clinicians Guide. Eds. D Mukherjee and AA Bavry. New York: Oxford University Press, 2011.
Chhatriwalla AK, Bhatt DL. "Cardiac catheterization, diagnostic angiography and intravascular ultrasound." Educational Review Manual in Cardiovascular Disease. New York: Castle Connolly Graduate Medical Publishing, 2009.
Chhatriwalla AK, Brener SJ. “Platelet glycoprotein IIb/IIIa receptor blockade in primary angioplasty.” Primary Angioplasty in Acute Myocardial Infarction. Ed. JE Tcheng. New York: Humana Press, 2009.
Chhatriwalla AK, Bajzer CT. "Carotid artery disease." Manual of Cardiovascular Medicine, 3rd edition. Eds. BP Griffin and EJ Topol. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2009.
Chhatriwalla AK. "Ethics in the coronary care unit." Management of the Patient in the Coronary Care Unit. Eds. MH Shishehbor, TH Wang, AT Askari, MS Penn and EJ Topol. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2007.
Chhatriwalla AK, Bhatt DL. "Anticoagulation and antiplatelet agents." Comprehensive Management of High Risk Cardiovascular Patients. Eds. AM Gotto, Jr and P Toth. New York: Informa Healthcare, 2006. 501-524.
Saxon JT, Allen KB, Cohen DJ, Chhatriwalla AK. Bioprosthetic Valve Fracture During Valve-in-Valve TAVR: Bench to Bedside. Interventional Cardiology Review 2018;13(1):20–6. doi:10.15420/icr.2017:29:1
Armstrong EJ, Chhatriwalla AK, Szerlip M, et al. Late breaking trials of 2016 in structural heart disease and peripheral artery disease: Commentary covering ACC, EuroPCR, SCAI, TCT, VIVA, ESC, and AHA. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2017 May;89(6):1093-1099. doi: 10.1002/ccd.27004. Epub 2017 Mar 17.
Armstrong E, Chhatriwalla A, Szerlip M, et al. Late Breaking Trials of 2015 in Structural Heart Disease and Peripheral Artery Disease: Commentary Covering ACC, EuroPCR, SCAI, TCT, VIVA, ESC, and AHA. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2016 May;87(6):1020-6.
Nicholls SJ, Chhatriwalla AK, Lundman P. Impact of statins on atherosclerotic plaque. Future Cardiol 2007; 3: 157-164.
Chhatriwalla AK, Brener SJ. Plaque instability in acute coronary syndrome. 2006, October; Athero.org <http://www.athero.org/commentaries/comm584.pdf>
Shamim S, Magalski A, Chhatriwalla AC, Allen KB, Huber KC, Main ML. Transesophageal echocardiographic diagnosis of a WATCHMAN left atrial appendage closure device thrombus 10 years following implantation, Echocardiography, 2017 Jan;34(1):128-130. doi: 10.1111/echo.13413. Epub 2016 Nov 16.
Allen KB, Borkon AM, Aggarwal S, et al. The Descending Thoracic Aorta: Forgotten Vascular Access for Endovascular Device Delivery. Innovations (Phila). 2016 Mar-Apr;11(2):138-41. doi: 10.1097/IMI.0000000000000225.
Naji DI, Chhatriwalla AK, Cohen DJ, Main ML. Transapical aortic valve replacement complicated by periaortic hematoma. Echo Res and Practice. 2015 Sept. DOI: 10.1530/ERP-15-0016
Allen KB, Johnson LM, Borkon AM, et al. Combined Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement and Thoracic Endovascular Aortic Repair Using Transapical Access. Ann Thorac Surg. 2015 Aug;100(2):723-7. doi: 10.1016/j.athoracsur.2014.10.024.
Chhatriwalla AK, Unzek S, Kapadia SR. Recurrent stent fracture in the right coronary artery. Clinical Cardiol 2010; 33:E70-72.
Al-Amoodi M, Rao K, Rao S, et al. Fulminant myocarditis due to H1N1 Influenza. Circ Heart Fail 2010; 3: e7-e9.
Cam A, Chhatriwalla AK, Kapadia SR. Limitations of angiography for the assessment of renal artery stenosis and treatment implications. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 2010; 75: 38-42.
Chhatriwalla AK, Lever HM, Pettersson G, et al. Role of invasive evaluation with cineradiography and intracardiac echocardiography to detect mechanical prosthetic valve dysfunction. J Invasive Cardiol 2009; 21: 190-192.
Abu Romeh IS, Chhatriwalla AK, Atik FA et al. Myocardial infarction secondary to a coronary ostial thrombus in antiphospholipid syndrome. Ann Thorac Surg 2007; 83: 1170-1171.
Chhatriwalla AK, Younoszai A, Latson L, Jaber WA. An 8 month old girl with anomalous left coronary artery from the pulmonary artery complicated by myocardial ischemia following surgical reimplantation. J Nucl Cardiol 2006; 13: 432-436.
Chhatriwalla AK, Rader DJ. Intracoronary Imaging, Reverse Cholesterol Transport, and Transcriptomics. J Amer Coll Cardiol 2017; 69 (6) 641-643; DOI: 10.1016/j.jacc.2016.12.003
Safley DM, Chhatriwalla AK. The Kidney Connection: Holy Grail or Wild Goose Chase? JAMA, Intern Med. Published online September 15, 2014. doi:10.1001/jamainternmed.2014.3139.
Khalid A, Bhatti S, Chhatriwalla AK. Ambulation following cardiac catheterization: the earlier the better. Anadolu Kardiyol Derg. 2012 May;12(3):231-2.
Chhatriwalla AK, Bhatt DL. Dual antiplatelet therapy following DES should be continued for more than one year and preferably indefinitely. Circ Cardiovasc Intervent 2008; 1:217-225.
Chhatriwalla AK, Bhatt DL. Breaking with tradition: Is diagnostic angiography really necessary before primary PCI? J Invasive Cardiol 2008; 20:229-230.
Chhatriwalla AK, Bhatt DL. Walk this way: early ambulation after cardiac catheterization – good for the patient and the health care system. Mayo Clin Proc 2006; 81: 1535-1536.
Chhatriwalla AK, Nicholls SJ, Nissen SE. The ASTEROID trial: coronary plaque regression with high-dose statin therapy. Future Cardiol 2006; 2: 651-654.
Chhatriwalla AK, Bhatt DL. You can’t keep a good man (or woman) down. J Invasive Cardiol 2006; 18: 109-110.
On Staff At
- Anderson County Hospital
- Hedrick Medical Center
- Saint Luke's Cushing Hospital
- Saint Luke's East Hospital
- Saint Luke's Hospital of Kansas City
- Saint Luke's North Hospital–Barry Road
- Saint Luke's North Hospital–Smithville
- Saint Luke's South Hospital
- Wright Memorial Hospital