Interventional Radiology Internship
The Interventional Radiology Program is a 12-month certificate-based internship offered by Saint Luke’s. Interns receive extensive clinical and didactic instruction to maximize their learning experience.
After completing the internship, students are eligible to sit for the Vascular Interventional Boards.
As a vascular interventional intern, you’ll be involved in diagnostic and interventional procedures, such as:
- Venous access
- Hemodialysis fistulagrams
- Graft evaluation
- Visceral, neuro, biliary and urinary procedures
Interns also receive limited training in ultrasound vascular imaging.
Interns attend classes and complete self-study materials. Course topics include:
- Neuro and body anatomy
- Patient care
- Transjugular biopsy and drainage procedures
- Neuro-interventional and body interventional procedures
Interns attend 30-40 hours a week, Monday through Friday.
The didactic time is primarily self-study with class two to three times per week.
Tuition and Fees
- Tuition: $1,500 for 12-month program
- Application fee: $25 (make check payable to SLH School of Radiologic Technology)
- Matriculation fee: $100
- Be a registered radiologic technologist or be a graduate of a two-year JRCERT accredited radiology program, and be eligible for or have passed the American Registry of Radiologic Technologist certification
The most successful candidates:
- Are registered by the ARRT
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.0
- Have prior clinical experience
- Receive a high score on their interview
International students should refer to the international student policy and application requirements.
Saint Luke’s Interventional Radiology Internship accepts two students per year, and the program begins every August. The application deadline is the last Friday in February.
- Complete the application (PDF) form.
- Pay the $25 application fee (please make check payable to the SLH School of Radiologic Technology).
- Send in all high school and post-secondary education transcripts. All official transcripts must come from the honoring institution.
- Complete the three reference forms (PDF).
The applicant must also complete an eight-hour observation in the Saint Luke’s IR Department. To schedule an observation, call 816-932-2788.
Note: All prospective (shadow) students must either show evidence of an influenza vaccine within six months of their observation date or wear a mask during the visit.
For more information, contact:
Tim Salmen, RT (R) (CV)
Brandi Schudy, RT
Internship Program Board
- Tiffany Johnson, MBA, RDMS (AB) (OB) RVT, RT (R)
- Tim Salmen, RT (R) (CV)
- Brandi Schudy, RT