- Medical School
- University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, FL
- General Surgery, University of Michigan Hosps & Health Ctrs, Ann Arbor, MI
- Neurosurgery, University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, MI
- Spine Surgery, UCSF Medical Center, San Francisco, CA
- American Board of Neurological Surgery
- minimally invasive spine surgery
- cervical artificial discs
- complex spine surgery
- tumors of the spine
- spine trauma
- peripheral nerve surgery
Cheerag D. Upadhyaya, M.D., M.Sc., FACS, is a fellowship-trained neurosurgeon specializing in complex and minimally invasive spine surgery. He is director of the spine program and surgical director for the Saint Luke’s Marion Bloch Neuroscience Institute. Prior to joining Saint Luke’s in May 2014, he had practiced at Kadlac Neuroscience Center in Richland, Washington.
After earning his medical degree from the University of Florida, Dr. Upadhyaya completed his neurosurgical residency at the University of Michigan. While there, he earned a master’s degree in clinical research from the University of Michigan.
Dr. Upadhyaya completed his fellowship in complex and minimally invasive spine surgery at the University of California San Francisco.
His clinical research has appeared in numerous journals, books, videos, and at industry conferences.
- Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholars Program
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute – National Institutes of Health Research Scholars Program
- Salk Institute
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- Scoliosis Research Society
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons
- American Association of Neurologic Surgeons
- AANS/CNS Joint Section on Disorders of the Spine and Peripheral Nerves
Selected Committee and Administrative Service
- 2014 – current Young Neurosurgeons Committee, Liaison to Joint Guidelines Committee
- 2013 – current Scoliosis Research Society, Ethics Committee
- 2013 – current Young Neurosurgeons Committee, Liaison to Neuropoint Alliance Board
- 2013 – current Young Neurosurgeons Committee, Division Coordinator for AANS-CNS section liaisons
- 2013 – 2014 Elected to Chair of Kadlec Neuroscience Center Physician Operating Committee. Kadlec Neuroscience Center compromised of 3 neurosurgeons, 5 neurologists, 1 physiatrist, 1 interventional pain management, and 5 PA/ARNPs.
- 2012 – 2014 Young Neurosurgeons Committee Liaison to Spine – Peripheral Section Executive Committee
- 2007 – 2008 Secretary, University of Michigan House Officer Association
- 2006 – 2007 President, University of Michigan House Officer Association
- 2006 – 2007 House Officer Association representative to Executive Committee For Clinical Affairs
- 2006 House Officer Association representative to Graduate Medical Education Committee
- 2016 Scoliosis Research Society Edgar G. Dawson Traveling Fellowship Winner
- Washington State Medical Society (WSMA) Executive Committee Scholarship Recipient to attend the Leadership Development Conference
- AANS/CNS Spine & Peripheral Nerve Section, Outcomes Committee Award, 2011
- Bronze Beeper (Outstanding Medical Student instruction), University of Michigan Medical Schools, 2002
Dr. Upadhyaya is a Clinical Associate Professor at the University of Missouri–Kansas City School of Medicine.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Choice POS II Aexcel Local
- Aetna Choice POS II Local
- Aetna Elect Choice
- Aetna Federal Employees Health Benefit Plan
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna HMO Local
- Aetna Mail Handlers Benefit Plan
- Aetna Managed Choice
- Aetna MDOT & Missouri State Highway Patrol
- Aetna Medicare
- Aetna Missouri Preferred
- Aetna MU myChoice Health Program
- Aetna Open Choice PPO
- Aetna Select
- Aetna Select Local
- Aetna Signature Administrators (ASA)
- Aetna Workers Comp
- BCBS of Kansas (call provider)
- BCBS of Kansas City (PPO)
- BCBS of Kansas City Freedom Network
- BCBS of Kansas City Freedom Network Select
- BCBS of Kansas City Preferred Care
- BCBS of Kansas City Preferred Care Blue
- BCBS of Kansas City Traditional
- Blue Medicare Advantage Access (PPO)
- Blue Medicare Advantage Complete (HMO)
- Blue Medicare Advantage Essential (PPO)
- Blue Medicare Advantage Plus (HMO)
- Century Health Solutions (PPO)
- Cigna (HMO)
- Cigna (Open Access)
- Cigna (PPO)
- CompResults (WC)
- Coventry Advantra Freedom (PPO)
- Coventry Health and Life Insurance Company
- Coventry Health Care
- Coventry Medicare Advantra (PPO)
- Golden Rule
- Health Choice of Northwest Missouri (PPO)
- Healthcare USA-MC+ (Aetna Better Health)
- HealthLink (HMO)
- HealthLink (PPO) through Freedom Network
- Home State Health Plan (Missouri practices)
- Humana (PPOx)
- Humana Choice Care (PPO)
- Humana Choice PPO (Medicare Advantage PPO)
- Humana Community (HMO)
- Humana Gold Choice Medicare Advantage PFFS
- Humana Gold Plus (HMO)
- Humana Gold Plus HMO SNP
- Humana SmartExpress PPO
- Humana SmartNet PPO
- Humana SmartSuite PPO
- Integrated Health Plan
- Kansas Medicaid
- Medica Connect
- Medica Select
- Missouri Care (Missouri practices only)
- Missouri Medicaid
- MultiPlan/PCHS (PPO)
- Occupational Health Management (WC)
- OHARA Managed Care (WC)
- ProviDRs Care Network (formerly WPPA)
- Pyramid Life (Medicare Advantage PPO)
- Railroad Medicare
- Sunflower State Health Plan (Kansas practices)
- Triwest Veterans Affairs Patient Centered Community Care
- United Healthcare Choice
- United Healthcare Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Community Plan
- United Healthcare Definity Health Reimbursement Account
- United Healthcare Definity Health Savings Account
- United Healthcare Golden Rule HMO
- United Healthcare Indemnity
- United Healthcare Managed Indemnity
- United Healthcare Options PPO
- United Healthcare Select
- United Healthcare Select Plus
- UnitedHealthcare Evercare DH
- UnitedHealthcare Evercare DH-POS
- UnitedHealthcare Evercare DP
- UnitedHealthcare Evercare RDP
- UnitedHealthcare Medicare Choice
- UnitedHealthcare Medicare Choice Essential
- UnitedHealthcare Medicare Complete
- UnitedHealthcare Medicare Complete Essential
- UnitedHealthcare Medicare Complete Plus
- UnitedHealthcare Medicare DH
- UnitedHealthcare Medicare Plus Essential
- US Department of Labor
Original Observations in Reviewed Journals:
Upadhyaya CD, Wu JC, Haid RW, Traynelis VC, Tay B, Coric D, Trost G, Mummaneni PV. (2012). Analysis of the three United States FDA-IDE cervical arthroplasty trials. Journal of Neurosurgery Spine, 16(3):216-28.
Upadhyaya CD, Wu JC, Chin CT, Balamurali G, Mummaneni PV. (2012). Avoidance of wrong level thoracic spine surgery: intraoperative localization with preoperative percutaneous fiducial screw placement. Journal of Neurosurgery Spine, 16(3):280-4.
Upadhyaya CD, Starr PA, Mummaneni PV (2010). Spinal Deformity and Parkinson Disease: a treatment algorithm. Neurosurgery Focus, 28(3):E5.
Upadhyaya CD, Berven S, Mummaneni PV (2010). Spondylolisthesis following a pedicle subtraction osteotomy: case report. Neurosurgery Focus, 28(3):E16.
Park P, Upadhyaya CD (2010). Pott’s disease causing chin-on-chest deformity and myelopathy. Neurology, 75(5):477.
Park P, Upadhyaya CD, Garton HJ, Foley KT (2008) The impact of minimally-invasive spine surgery on perioperative complications in the overweight or obese patients. Neurosurgery, 62(3):693-9.
Upadhyaya CD, Park P, La Marca F. (2007). Chyloretroperitoneum following anterior spinal deformity correction: case report. Journal of Neurosurgery Spine, 7(5):562-5.
Upadhyaya CD, Upadhyaya DM, Carlan SJ. (2003). Vaginal birth after cesarean delivery in a small rural community with a solo practice. American Journal of Perinatology, 20(2), 63-67.
Qian X, Esteban L, Vass WC, Upadhyaya C, Papageorge AG, Yienger K, Ward JM, Lowy DR, Santos E. (2000). The Sos1 and Sos2 Ras-specific exchange factors: differences in placental expression and signaling properties. European Molecular Biology Organization Journal, 19 (4), 642 – 654.
Burton M, Upadhyaya CD, Maier B, Hope TJ, Semmes OJ. (2000). Human T-cell leukemia virus type 1 shuttles between functionally discrete subcellular targets. Journal of Virology, 74, 2351 – 2364.
Upadhyaya CD, Fewel ME (Accepted for Publication). Intra-operative Navigation Assisted Placement of Percutaneous Pedicle Screws. Neurosurgical Focus (Suppl).
Upadhyaya CD, Ziewacz J, Mummaneni PV (Accepted for Publication). Mini-open Posterior Approach for Adult Deformity Correction. Neurosurgical Focus (Suppl).
Cheng J, Upadhyaya CD, Wu JC, Tu Tsung-Hsi, Mummaneni PV (July 2012). Miniopen Removal of Intradural Spinal Tumor. Neurosurgical Focus (Suppl) 33(1):Video 2, 2012.
Upadhyaya CD, Mummaneni PV. (2011). Comparison of ICD-9 based, retrospective, and prospective assessments of perioperative complications: assessment of accuracy in reporting. Journal of Neurosurgery Spine, 14(1), 14-15.
Review Articles/Book Chapters:
Strom RG, Upadhyaya CD, Frempong-Boadu AK (submitted). Degenerative Disc Disease: Artificial Discs and Motion. AANS MOC exam book.
Upadhyaya CD, Sasso R, Mummaneni PV. (2012). Ankylosing Spondylitis (pp 854 – 862). In Benzel (ed.) The Cervical Spine. Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams, and Wilkins.
Wu JC, Upadhyaya CD, Mummaneni PV. (2012). Motion-preservation strategies for the cervical spine. In Ghogawala Z, Steinmetz MP, Batjer HH, Benzel EC (eds.) The Evidence for Neurosurgery. Castle Hill Barns, UK: TFM Publishing.
Upadhyaya C, Brumblay H, Park P. (2009). Interverbral Disk Disease (pp 872 – 876). In Doherty GM (ed.) Current Surgical Diagnosis and Treatment, Thirteenth edition. McGraw-Hill, New York, New York.
Upadhyaya C, Yang L, McGillicuddy J. (2009). Peripheral Nerve Lesions (pp 829-833). In Doherty GM (ed.) Current Surgical Diagnosis and Treatment, Thirteenth edition. McGraw-Hill, New York, New York.
Upadhyaya CD, Sagher O. (2007). Cervical spinal cord stimulation in cerebral ischemia. In Sakas DE, Simpson BA, Krames ES (eds) Operative Neuromodulation. New York: Springer.
Hughes TA, Upadhyaya C. (2002). Lipid Disorders. In Ling FW, Duff P (eds) Pocket Guide to Obstetrics and Gynecology: Principles for Practice. New York: McGraw-Hill.
Published Abstracts / Conference Presentations:
Upadhyaya CD, Chang KWC, Brown S, Hervey-Jumper S, Pandey A, Park P, Yang LJS. Patient Perceptions about Quality of Care in Spinal Disorders. Accepted as Podium presentation at Congress of Neurological Surgeons Annual Meeting, 2016, San Diego, California
Upadhyaya CD, Chang KWC, Brown S, Beach T, Hervey-Jumper S, Pandey A, Park P, Yang LJS (April 2016). Patient Perceptions about Quality of Care in Spinal Disorders. Poster presentation at AANS Annual Meeting, 2016, Chicago, Illinois
Upadhyaya CD, Chang KWC, Brown S, Beach T, Hervey-Jumper S, Pandey A, Park P, Yang LJS (March 2016). Patient Perceptions about Quality of Care in Spinal Disorders. Podium presentation at AANS-CNS Spine / Peripheral Nerve Section Meeting, 2016, Orlando, Florida.
Upadhyaya CD, Wu JC, Haid RW, Traynelis VC, Tay B, Coric D, Trost G, Mummaneni PV (July 2010). Analysis of the three United States FDA-IDE cervical arthroplasty trials. Podium presentation at AANS-CNS Spine / Peripheral Nerve Section Meeting, 2011, Phoenix, Arizona. - Awarded outcomes award at AANS-CNS Spine / Peripheral Nerve Section Meeting.
Upadhyaya CD, Wu JC, Haid RW, Traynelis VC, Tay B, Coric D, Trost G, Mummaneni PV (July 2010). Analysis of the three United States FDA-IDE cervical arthroplasty trials. Podium presentation at International Meeting on Advanced Spine Techniques (IMAST), Torondo, Canada. - Awarded second place in competition for Whitecloud Award.
Upadhyaya CD, Chin C, Mummaneni PV (2010). Avoidance of wrong level thoracic spine surgery: intraoperative localization with preoperative percutaneous CyberKnife fiducial screw placement. Poster presentation at the 2010 AANS/CNS Section on Disorders of the Spine and Peripheral Nerves, Orlando, FL.
Upadhyaya CD, Thompson BG, Rogers M. (2007). Magnesium and Aneurysmal Subarachnoid Hemorrhage – A Meta-Analysis. Poster presentation at the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation National Meeting, Fort Lauderdale, FL.
Upadhyaya CD, Thompson BG. (2005). The effects of magnesium sulfate on aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage associated vasospasm. Oral presentation at the Michigan Association of Neurologic Surgeons meeting, Crystal Mountain, MI.
Qian X, Esteban L, Vass VC, Upadhyaya CD, Papageorge AG, Yienger K, Ward JM, Lowy DR, Santos E. (1999). The Sos1 and Sos2 Ras-specific exchange factors: differences in placental expression and signaling properties. Poster presentation at Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Bethesda, MD.
On Staff At
- Saint Luke's Hospital of Kansas City